Parents Council Committees and Volunteer Opportunities
Parents Council committees work throughout the year to support the work and initiatives of the Carolina Parents Council and New Student & Family Programs. Many committees also gather during the bi-annual meetings to meet with University administrators in their respective area and discuss ways in which the Council can support the needs of the institution. Below is a description of the Carolina Parents Council’s current committees. Parents Council members are encouraged to assist with a committee where and when possible.
- Collaborate closely with the New Student & Family Program Coordinator for Family Communications
- Engage other interested Parents Council members in supporting communications efforts
- Inter-Parents Council Communications: Write one meeting recap for the Fall Meeting and Spring Meeting to be delivered to the Council one week after each meeting
- Parents Council Guiding Documents: Review and update (as needed) the member handbook and its documents annually.
- UNC Family Webinar Topics: Recommend topics or areas of interest for semesterly webinars delivered to all Carolina parents/families by the NSFP professional and student staff. Topics can be derived from helpful content presented at the Fall and Spring Parents Council meetings.
- Parent-to-Parent Blog: Recruit Parents Council members to write regular content for the Parent-to-Parent blog that highlights their experiences transitioning to and journeying through Carolina with their student(s). The goal would be 1 piece monthly, September - May.
- Orientation Family Communications: Once per academic year, review and offer input for editing/improving the Carolina Family Handbook (general) and Carolina Family Calendar (printed).
- Primarily it will support the strategies and initiatives in promoting donations and involvement with the Carolina Parents Council Endowment.
- Works with the Director of Development for Student Affairs to determine and implement the strategy.
- Primarily it will support and enhance the annual Carolina Parents Council Grant Awards Program.
- Works with the NSFP office to review all components of the application, review, and interview process.
MEMBERSHIP & RECRUITMENT
- Creates a plan and strategies to welcome new families to the Carolina Parents Council in conjunction with the New Student & Family Programs office.
- Reach out to Carolina family members and involve them in the Carolina community.
- Encourages active parent/family engagement in the life of the University.
- A class chair family from each class year will support this committee.
- Works with NSFP and the Carolina Parents Council to plan, create, and organize family volunteers to assist with related family programs
- Events and activities currently include:
- Providing information for families and recruiting for the Council at the Orientation Information Fair (June - August)
- Staffing select events at Carolina Family Weekend to greet and welcome families back to campus (typically September or October)
- Supporting University Career Services and their efforts to provide career-related mentorship and guidance for students (ongoing)